Monday, February 27, 2012

Wind and Chickens

It is very windy today. Taking the mail out to the mailbox at the road was quite the adventure. Dierdre and I walked back to the house with our heads down, leaning into the wind. It's one of those days I consider putting weights on the chickens to make sure they don't blow away!

Actually, we're down to just one hen. She's eight-and-a-half years old now and isn't laying anymore, although she did give a few eggs last year.



I'm planning on buying some baby chicks next month, Americaunas again. I really like their personalities, and, of course, they lay those beautiful eggs with the greenish shells. I have a place to put the baby chicks, but I'll have to build another pen for when they're old enough to be outside but not yet big enough to roam freely. My last coop was smashed in a wind storm; luckily it wasn't in use at the time. As I said at the beginning of my post, it can be very windy here sometimes!

2 comments:

Julia said...

We have some ameraucanas, too - such lovely eggs and sweet temperaments!

Diane said...

They seem quite interested in what's going on around them. Given the opportunity, mine will walk up and hang out near me.

I just found out that the feed store where I was planning to buy my chicks doesn't sex them. I may need to look elsewhere; I really just want hens.