Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Trials of Motherhood

I was sitting at my desk working, with Dierdre laying nearby, when she suddenly started barking. At first I thought she was responding to a dog in the distance, but then I heard what she did: a sheep baaing. A single baa doesn't worry me, but the noise continued. As we went outside, thoughts of a dog or coyote on the property entered my mind.

From the deck, we surveyed the scene. Boudica, the newest mother, was standing alone, voicing increasingly desperate-sounding baas. A lamb some distance away responded and started towards her. I watched, assuming a tender reunion was about to take place, but the lamb trotted right past Boudica and on to Minerva and started nursing.

Boudica's baas continued as she joined a group of sheep, searching among them for her baby.

By now I was worried. I could see the older three lambs but not Boudica's. Dierdre and I left the deck and headed towards the sheep. A few yards from the barn, I spotted the errant youngster. He was snoozing in some left over wool in the shearing pen, totally unaware of his mother's growing panic.

Dierdre entered the pen and nosed the lamb. He raised his head, looked at her, and got up and stretched, giving a little baa. Boudica immediately responded. He baaed a couple more times, and she came running.

Dierdre and I moved away a bit to watch. Mother and lamb met, Boudica full of concern and checking him out, the lamb, only interested in milk, trying to nurse while Boudica ensured he was safe and sound.

As we returned to the house, I congratulated Dierdre on her sheep-guarding abilities. She had heard a sheep in distress, let me know, and together we solved the problem. Luckily, it was nothing serious, and now everyone was happy.

No comments: