Friday, November 6, 2015

Cattle

I've been having a very strange week involving cattle. First, Tuesday I almost had a way-too-close encounter on the highway with a cow as I drove into Wilhoit. I heard later that there were about a dozen cattle on walkabout.

Today, more cattle. There is an entrance to the national forest across the road from my property. This bit of info will be relevant in a minute.

About 4:15, I let the sheep out of their enclosure to graze the larger property. I then went back to a task I was working on outside.

Logan had other ideas, though. He insisted it was PLAYTIME. He even took hold of my shoe and started pulling my foot. Giving in, I played with him for a bit. Some of the sheep ambled by, so he raced after them. Several baa's accompanied their retreat.

Then I realized there was a moo amongst the noise. I heard another one. I looked at the entry to the national forest and saw a half dozen black cattle staring at me, mooing. I ran for my camera.

It turned out there were more than two dozen cattle congregated along the road leading out of the forest. They had come to a halt at the cattle guard. "You shall not pass!" OK, it was more like you cannot pass. They were standing around as if waiting for an exit visa.

I took several pictures, but they headed back into the forest after Logan's vociferous arrival.

Did I miss the memo that said this was cattle week?







No comments: