Monday, January 31, 2011

Bottle Baby

Sierra has beautiful wool and a great personality, but she is a lousy mother. I've had trouble with her in the past, and this year was a replay of difficulties. She wouldn't let her lambs nurse even though she seemed interested in them.

I ended up giving the little ewe lamb to a great couple who live north of here. They are raising her as a bottle baby (feeding her using lamb milk replacer and a bottle). It seems to be a match made in heaven. They've fallen in love with her, and she is thriving. They've named her little Sierra. Pam kindly sends me updates and pictures. Wow, is she one adorable lamb.

Photos courtesy of Pam Lampson Staples, http://www.freewebs.com/punziwu.

6 comments:

Hannah said...

Aaw, she is so cute! Thanks for sharing the pics. makes me want to start making a little needle felted lamb:)

Diane said...

Hi, Hannah,
Thanks for the comment! I can see the inspiration to make a felt lamb. So far the only needle felting I've done is an Intro-to-Needle-Felting gnome, but it turned out pretty well.
Diane

Unknown said...

Hi Diane, I see that you follow my blog, and I would like to follow yours too. The lamb pictures make me want some so much! I have my hands full as it is, but sure would like to have my own fleeces.
What adorable faces!

Diane said...

Hi, Leah,
Yes, it's tough to juggle time commitments. I like raising the sheep, but they can be a handful sometimes, such as when Sierra (mentioned above) decided not to nurse her baby!
I enjoy your blog. Thanks for reciprocating and following mine.
Diane

Mark said...

This lamb just defines the word cute!

Diane said...

Mark--I agree! Thanks!