Sunday, May 12, 2013

Hobbles


When I shear one of my sheep, I put her on a shearing stand with her head in a stanchion. This setup keeps the front end of the sheep fairly steady, but the rear end can pivot all over the place, and, believe me, it does.

I looked online and saw some hobbles for goats. They were made from nylon webbing, closed with Velcro, and were adjustable. They appeared fairly simple. I figured I’d make a pair to try out the idea. If they worked, I’d make a better pair or order some.

I’m glad I experimented with my cheap version first. NEVER mix Velcro with sheep – and their wool. Use your imagination for the rest!

2 comments:

ICQB said...

Aack! Hope all was untangled and unstuck in the end!

Diane said...

Yep, there were no long-term issues except to the hobbles themselves. Velcro looses its "grabiness" really fast when it's full of wool.