Sunday, January 27, 2013

Storm

It's a good thing I planned to let Petra and Rogue out of the lambing pen today because it was needed by a new set of residents. Boudica gave birth to a good-sized black ewe lamb this morning, who I've named Storm.

Considering how difficult it was to get Petra into the lambing pen, it was surprising how hard it was to get her to leave it. Most mothers go in easily, simply following their lambs that I carry in. But since Petra wasn't showing much interest in Rogue, she had to be forcibly ensconced.

This morning I opened the gate to let the two of them out, and they just stood there looking at me. I picked up Rogue and set her in another part of the barn. Petra didn't move. I finally gave her a shove, and she left. It took her a few minutes to find Rogue, but at least she looked for her and seemed content when she found her. New mothers -- sometimes you just have to shake your head in disbelief.

When I went out to feed the sheep this morning, I found Boudica in the barn cleaning Storm, so she was just recently born. I gave the ewe some hay and left them alone, so she could finish cleaning the baby and bonding. A couple hours later I moved them both to the lambing pen.

Years ago I read the excellent advice to carry newborn lambs only a foot or so from the ground so that their mothers can follow. The writer (I've forgotten who right now, but it was probably Ron Parker) pointed out that lambs normally don't fly, so mothers don't think to look for them at a height of four or five feet where they'd be in your arms when you're standing. Therefore, you need to carry them close to the ground where their mothers expect them to be. This position isn't bad when you don't have far to move them. However, long distances can be a bit tough on the back and legs. Heloise once gave birth to large twins a good 50 yards from the barn. Walking backwards with a lamb in each hand all the way to the barn wasn't fun.

The very short trip to the lambing pen this morning went fine, though. Boudica devotedly followed her lamb and went calmly into the lambing pen. Perhaps she had noted all the extra hay Petra has been getting in there the last couple days and was looking forward to the food.

No comments: