Sunday, April 24, 2011

Scout

Scout is pretty smart. (Whenever I make statements like this, assume they are followed by "for a sheep.") Just like his mother, Clare, he's inventive, a good problem solver, and one of the first to get into trouble. In fact, clever and trouble-prone are probably synonymous when referring to sheep.

So when I fed him yesterday, it wasn't too surprising to turn around and see he had a wire tomato cage stuck on his head. It didn't appear to bother him much, though. I had to insist he stop eating in order to pull it off him, and as soon as I freed him, he went right back to the hay.




What do you call a sheep who gets his head stuck in a tomato cage?

Mine.

4 comments:

Julia said...

He's a gorgeous boy. I'm jealous that you get to spin all of that lovely wool when it is sheared. He is a lovely gray-black!

ICQB said...

Ha! What did the tomato plant look like? : )

I noticed that you are interested in dye plants. On Mother's Day I made my daughter come with me to the park next door and pick dandelion flowers so that I could dye up a batch of wool. She had to do it because it was Mother's Day : ) The wool came out a lovely yellow.

Diane said...

Scout has plenty of wool to share, so if you'd like to buy any after he's sheared, let me know. I wouldn't be surprised if I get 20 lbs. of fleece off him!

Diane said...

Luckily there weren't any tomato plants yet. I had collected the cages but hadn't bought any plants because the weather had turned cold again.

I've dyed with dandelions, too, and, I admit, I recruited friends to help pick them. It takes a long time to gather enough for a dye bath.